Saturday, January 8, 2011

Open Studio

I signed up for Open Studio.  A local artist provides the studio and hires a model.  I haven't drawn a live model for over 10 years.  I was a little anxious.  I pondered what materials I would use. Pencil? Charcoal? Pastels? Which sketchpad?  Pastel paper? Would my drawings be any good?

Through the red door and up the stairs, there are 4 or 5 doors on each side of the hallway, a reminder that the building at 217 N. Meridian was a brothel in 1910. The artist's studio was wonderful, just like I would want for myself.  A loft with big windows, skylights. She has her own space where she paints, a small kitchen, and an area for the 12 of us and our model. 

I nervously put charcoal to paper. My first drawing was small, porportions not quite right.  I started again, different paper, conte crayon, and let my right brain take over.  The studio is quiet, each of us in the "zone", channeling our creativity.  This is what I was looking for, a community of artists to connect with, others who love to draw and paint. 

7 comments:

Jade said...

I always love the energy generated when creative people get together. I find you can get some great inspiration that way.

WV: defurst, as in "I am defurst person commenting today." ;)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Sounds like a great connection, and your conte is pretty good too.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I wish I could draw like that! Fantastic.
Always good to be surrounded by fun people and good energy!
xx, shell

Lisa said...

That sounds like such a great time!! Is this an ongoing thing that you can do regularly? Sounds like it would be great for your artistic energy. If not, great experience anyway!

Clovie Boy said...

Thank you for your comments everyone! Lisa, this is an ongoing opportunity. It's about $20 a week though. It may lead to something else - you never know.

bunnits said...

I really miss taking art classes. I'm so out of practice; I should sign up for something. There are numerous opportunities, but I don't take advantage of them. Enjoy your sessions.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Bravo Sue! I miss doing workshops, etc. It's always a fun time being creative and getting into that space. Enjoy! Great looking start, no need to feel nervous!