Monday, June 27, 2011

Suncadia

We are away on vacation at a resort called Suncadia which is about one and a half hours east of Seattle.  It sits atop a hill overlooking the Cle Elum river in the middle of a forested area. It's mostly a golfer's paradise I think and we don't golf, but there are miles of paths on which to bike and hike, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and other fun amenities. This afternoon my fisherman is off on a guided fishing trip, while my daughter and I have our noses buried in books. Do I want the anti-aging Organic Champagne, Caviar & Truffle  Facial Experience at the Glade Spring Spa for $190? Includes a delicious truffle at the end of the 80 minute treatment. Probably not. 



Some of you may recall the TV show, Northern Exposure.  It was filmed in Roslyn which is about 2 miles away.  It's a quaint little old town. On Saturday night we went on their art walk (didn't find much) and shared a Fireball Whisky shot at the Brick Tavern (cinnamony hot!). On Sunday we picked up a few treasures from their Farmer's Market. 






We also stopped at the historic Roslyn cemetery and walked through. This is an old coal mining area and many miners of at least 24 different nationalities and their families, are buried here. The burial grounds are divided into areas for each nationality. Interesting. Sad to see graves of babies and young children.

I think that is about all there is to do in Roslyn.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
After lengthy Internet search I have discovered that this beautiful little wildflower is:
 
Lilium columbianum
Tiger lily, Oregon lily, Columbia lily

 
I'm sure Clovis is enjoying his vacation in the cat room at the South Hill Veterinary and Spa while we are away. Perhaps he will have a facial...

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Enjoy your trip!

Jade said...

Sounds like a great time! I always loved Northern Exposure, glad to see that mural is still around.

Have a wonderful vacation (you too, Clovie)! :)

SixBunnies said...

Enjoy! I bet Clovie Boy has all those cats whipped into shape and obeying him by now! The cat room is much quieter than the dog room! My bunnies like the cat room much better!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I do love WA state and especially Seattle. I would love to live there.
xx, shell

RG said...

Been there (Roslyn) too - see it all pretty fast!

There is a drive-in outside of Cle Elum headed up toward Blewitt Pass - seems like we had a good shake there once.

Beautiful country though.

bunnits said...

Looks like a neat vacation. I hope Clovie is enjoying his.

littlekarstar said...

The scenery outside the window looks amazing...