Monday, February 20, 2012

Gauguin

"Three Tahitians" - Gauguin 1899
The Seattle Art Museum is touting its latest exhibition, Gauguin and Polynesia: An Elusive Paradise.  This is the only stop in the US for this exhibit. I think anytime you have a chance to see the work of a famous artist you should take it. So we went.


I have never been all that fond of Paul Gauguin's work but art historians say it significantly influenced modern art, Picasso in particular. (That must be why I don't care all that much for his work - I am not a big fan of modern art.) I was very impressed with his carved wood statues. The exhibit included Polynesian and Maori artifacts.  The wood carvings were outstanding-some very intricate.  

Here's an interesting bit of trivia I learned about Gauguin - both his father and a son were named Clovis...

4 comments:

bunnits said...

The Gauguin family certainly had good taste in names.

Jade said...

Gauguin's not my fave (I'm more of a Renoir person), but I do like his work. How awesome would it have been had he painted a picture of a black-and-white rabbit? :)

Rabbits' Guy said...

Thanks for the scoop. We came down last year on the train to see Picasso and enjoyed FX McRory's WAY better! We are thinking of coming to Gauguin too - a bit later.

SixBunnies said...

Clovis, you are so much more handsome, and you would ROCK those stripy pants so much better than Gauguin!