Saturday, May 7, 2011

Cat and Mouse


Our cat, Minnie, has a nightly ritual. It involves a little finger puppet mouse that once belonged to our girls. 

When we have gone to bed and the house is quiet, Minnie finds her mouse, picks it up and carries it, yowling loudly as she goes. Her little rhapsody, almost painful to listen to, lasts just a minute. At the end, the mouse is deposited and Minnie goes off to sleep. 

Every morning we find the mouse in a different location; outside our bedroom door, on the stairs, next to Clovis' cage. This morning it was in my art room where I petted her good night before I went to bed last night.


I believe in her little cat mind, she goes on a nightly hunt in the dark jungle, capturing a wild animal and leaving it to us as an offering.  A generous contribution to the family.

5 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I'd say hilarious, but that would really be insensitive to kitteh's feelings, so I'll say brave, charming, wonderful, and tasty.

Jade said...

Awww, what a sweet pic.

It's a cat thing. Be glad she doesn't do it with the real deal--many years ago, I used to clean house and do odd tasks for an elderly lady named Elbertine who lived near us. One day while I was there, we could hear her cat yowling outside her door. Elbertine said, "Darn it, she's got a mouse. I need to go praise her."
She opened the door, and sure enough, there was the cat with a freshly-killed mouse. Elbertine said, "What a good kitty you are! You caught a mouse. Now take it away."
The cat picked up the mouse and went off somewhere. Elbertine closed the door, looked at me and said, "Fool cat, she does this all the time--and if I don't praise her for doing it, she tries to bring the darn thing in the house and lay it at my feet!"

RG said...

KB leaves his "kills" on the front door mat. Cats are weird.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh my gosh is she ever precious! Too funny!

SixBunnies said...

Heartwarming!