Sunday, July 1, 2012

Nisqually Wildlife Refuge

 

Husband and I drove down to the Nisqually Wildlife Refuge today to do some bird watching. It was a nice little trip.

 

We saw lots of swallows, a couple of bald eagles, red winged blackbirds, goldfinch, a hummingbird and a few others we weren't able to identify. We walked all the way out to the Puget Sound and back - 4 miles. Whew! 




When we started on the boardwalk there was a warning sign about the squirrels. It said they were very AGGRESSIVE and might BITE.  I've got to say I was a little scared because I was wearing capris, my bare legs exposed, and I can visualize one of these big boys, teeth bared, jumping on to my calf.  

Don't you know we were walking along and we see one of these AGGRESSIVE squirrels laying motionless, eyes open, flat on the boardwalk. He looked dead.  Rather than walk up to him we opted to make some noise and, surprise, he took off!  We walked hurriedly past.  A minute later I looked back and there he was in the exact same spot, laying out there again like he was dead.  Creepy.

8 comments:

SixBunnies said...

Hahahahah! That squirrel was playing with the humans! I love it! So funny! He was waiting for the next victim to come by and get scared! I bet the squirrels were the ones who secretly put that sign out ... little jokesters! :) so glad you had a great time!

RG said...

The Begging Squirrel! They have done quite a number there on the Nisqually - thanks for the pix!

Jade said...

Oooooh, very creepy--I've never heard of a squirrel playing possum like that. At first, I thought that he might have been trying to avoid a predator or even another squirrel, but it's possible that this was how the squirrels are "aggressive"; they play dead until you come up to them to check on them, and then they jump up to try to scare you into possibly dropping something edible. They're smart little buggers, I wouldn't put it past them.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

That place looks like heaven given the heat we've been having...even with a zombie squirrel!

Little Miss Titch said...

well squirrels are very clever so thats what you get,they are plotting to take over the world!

Little Miss Titch said...

Speedy has nominated you for the Illuminating blog award

Christina said...

Absolutely beautiful. I love the birds.

bunnits said...

Looks like a beautiful place. I've never been up to the Pacific Northwest. Last trip to California didn't allow time to make the drive, either. We're hoping to get up there sometime before we get too old to make it.

I love the little hummingbird and the other little birdchick. Boy, those squirrels sound creeeeepy.