Friday, March 12, 2010

Why Rabbits?

I think a lot of people have a special animal that they are drawn to.  I don't know why. In my family we have a shark person, a frog person, a monkey person and a fish person.  Well, my husband is the fish person but really his attraction to fish is purely for sport, so that doesn't really count.  Then me, the rabbit person.

I was trying to figure out why I love rabbits so much; why is the rabbit my animal?  And the only logical conclusion I could come to is that my first pet was a rabbit.  That's me and my rabbit in the photo.  I have no idea what kind he was.  Just your average white bunny the pet stores sold at Easter in the '50s I suppose.  His name was Whitey. I remember he escaped to Mrs. Twinnings rose garden next door and she wasn't very happy about that. When we moved away I had to give Whitey to another neighbor.  I don't know what happened to Whitey after that.  I just hope they didn't eat him.

Anyway, rabbits are my favorite subject to draw.  I love the ears!  The color variations so interesting depending on how the light hits them and the color of the rabbit.  Anywhere from mauve to pink to orange.  And the position of the ears; straight up and alert, laying flat on the rabbit's back, one up, one down, one forward, one back.  Body position, multiple rabbits.  All of it.  Such gentle, soft, quiet, fragile creatures. 

No comments: