Monday, February 20, 2012

Gauguin

"Three Tahitians" - Gauguin 1899
The Seattle Art Museum is touting its latest exhibition, Gauguin and Polynesia: An Elusive Paradise.  This is the only stop in the US for this exhibit. I think anytime you have a chance to see the work of a famous artist you should take it. So we went.


I have never been all that fond of Paul Gauguin's work but art historians say it significantly influenced modern art, Picasso in particular. (That must be why I don't care all that much for his work - I am not a big fan of modern art.) I was very impressed with his carved wood statues. The exhibit included Polynesian and Maori artifacts.  The wood carvings were outstanding-some very intricate.  

Here's an interesting bit of trivia I learned about Gauguin - both his father and a son were named Clovis...

4 comments:

bunnits said...

The Gauguin family certainly had good taste in names.

Jade said...

Gauguin's not my fave (I'm more of a Renoir person), but I do like his work. How awesome would it have been had he painted a picture of a black-and-white rabbit? :)

RG said...

Thanks for the scoop. We came down last year on the train to see Picasso and enjoyed FX McRory's WAY better! We are thinking of coming to Gauguin too - a bit later.

SixBunnies said...

Clovis, you are so much more handsome, and you would ROCK those stripy pants so much better than Gauguin!