Sunday, March 14, 2010

Finding Clovis

I have hundreds of photos of rabbits.  I've been taking rabbit photos for more than 10 years.  (Thank God for digital cameras...) I plan my trip to our local fair around rabbit judging time and I have gone to rabbit shows just to get reference material to draw from. The more I was around them, the more I wanted one. I studied what breed I would want, what color. Not that I would actually get one, mind you, because getting a pet is a big commitment. 

I gave in to temptation about three and a half years ago.  My daughter and I thought we would just "look" at the animal shelter.  I had decided IF I was to get a rabbit I would want a broken mini rex.  That day there were no broken mini rex at the shelter.  But on the way home, on a whim, I detoured to a well known pet store.  And there they were. And there was Clovis.

It took awhile to make my choice. There were two I liked. One was gray and white and I liked the pattern of its markings. But Clovis had the most beautiful coloring; from a mixture of light brown, and umber, and gray on his face, to a nutmeg color on his neck, the umber-gray racing stripe down his back turns completely gray at the tail. So we headed for home with my rabbit in a box, rabbit food and rabbit dishes. I've never regretted my decision to own a rabbit and never regretted my choice. He's not only a pretty boy but a sweet little guy who has brought me much happiness.

No comments: